Three confess to plotting gold heist; set for court on Tuesday

- Police pursuing two other suspects


A Guyana Defence Force (GDF) Sergeant and the Chief Security Officer, along with the security officer who was on duty at the time of the multi-million-dollar gold heist at Wallison Enterprise at Gordon Street, Kitty, on August 5, 2021, have reportedly confessed to the crime.

Police reported that some $38 million in local currency and $20 million worth of raw gold were carted off.

Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum told the News Room on Monday that the three suspects are expected to be charged on Tuesday.

As investigations continue, the Crime Chief stated that ranks are searching for two other suspects who executed the robbery.

Crime Chief Blanhum revealed that the robbery was orchestrated by the Chief Security Officer while the security officer who was on duty reportedly confessed that that the robbery was to be executed on Wednesday, August 4, but because the owner’s family was there it was done the following day instead.

“He was feeding the information to the other three suspects when was the opportune time to commit the robbery,” the Crime Chief said.

Meanwhile, GDF, in a statement, acknowledged the involvement of the two ranks, noting, “Our military Police Department is fully cooperating and assisting the police as necessary.”

The other rank, a female, was subsequently released.

GDF further noted “that the vast majority of our ranks are honest, hardworking Guyanese who are committed to providing professional service to the people and state of Guyana.”

Police on Sunday made a major breakthrough in the investigation with the recovery of a total of $18M. The money was found buried at the residence of one of the GDF ranks located at Vergenoegen, East Bank Essequibo.

A police release detailed that a 45-year-old goldsmith and a 20-year-old cashier were at work at Wallison Enterprise, when the bandits entered at 10:05hrs.

The three suspects arrived in a white car and parked it north of the building and entered the compound, through the main gate. They reportedly indicated to the security guard that they were there to sell gold.

The armed suspects then entered the waiting area where they spoke to the cashier and showed her a small package, which they claimed contained the gold to be sold.

The suspects then immediately drew their firearms and ordered her into an office where the money and gold were secured.

The entire incident was captured on CCTV cameras.

1 Comment
  1. Matthew says

    Give them 15 years in prison if all loot is recovered and 35 years if only what is recovered so far is all that they get back. If they bury the rest of the proceeds 35 years will be a painful time to wait to get out. This is important as a deterrent for others.

Your email address will not be published.