Woman, 91, among nine more COVID deaths
Nine people – three women and six men – are now dead after they were infected with the disease COVID-19, according to the Ministry of Health.
The latest fatalities are:
– A 91-year-old woman from Region Four (Demerara- Mahaica) who died on August 29
– A 58-year-old man from Region Four who also died on August 29
– A 71-year-old woman from Region Four who died on August 31
– A 73-year-old man from Region Four who died on August 31
– A 66-year-old woman from Region Three (Essequibo Islands- West Demerara) who died on August 31
– A 56-year-old man from Region Two (Pomeroon- Supenaam) who died on August 31
– An 82-year-old man from Region Four who died on August 30
– An 88-year-old man from Region Four who died on August 30
– A 42-year-old man from Region Two who died on August 30
The ministry, in a statement, said that these people died while receiving care at medical facilities. The latest fatalities take the total number of deaths to 622. This also means that August’s death toll has increased to 75.
Meanwhile, 145 new infections were recorded over the past 24 hours, taking the overall number of confirmed cases to 25, 548.
The new cases were reported in the following regions; Region One (three new cases), Region Two (nine cases), Region Three (20 cases), Region Four (90 new cases), Region Five (six cases), Region Six (13 cases), Region Seven (two cases), Region Nine (one case) and Region 10 (one case).
There are now 33 patients in the COVID-19 Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at the Infectious Diseases Hospital, 99 are in institutional isolation and 1, 776 are in home isolation.
Thus far, 23, 018 patients have recovered from the virus.