Police clear Dartmouth road of debris 

- Essequibo businessman was shot to the chest – PME


Two days of fiery protests at Dartmouth, Essequibo Coast came to an end on Friday after family members of 29-year-old Orin Boston agreed to clear the roadway.

Regional Commander (ag) Dinese Griffith told the News Room that they met with relatives and residents where an agreement of peace was made. The police are being assisted by the Ministry of Public Works which mobilised a grader and a tractor to the location to clear the roadway.

Following the shooting- death of Boston during an anti-crime operation by the SWAT Unit in the wee hours of Wednesday, residents began protesting and blocked the main access bridge at Dartmouth, preventing anyone from traversing.

Dead: Businessman Orin Boston

Residents on the coast had to resort to using a ‘back track’ to get to work and conduct their business. The protesters also prevented firefighters, the police and hearses from passing.

Meanwhile, a post mortem examination done on the body of the 29-year-old businessman found that he was shot to the chest. The post mortem, which was done on Thursday, revealed that Boston died as a result of haemorrhage and shock due to the gunshot injuries.

Police Commissioner (ag) Nigel Hoppie, Deputy Commissioner of Operation Clifton Hicken and Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum held a press briefing Wednesday afternoon and said that the SWAT Unit’s presence was necessary during the operation and that the unit was working on intelligence provided to them.

The senior police officers said the ranks were reportedly searching for prohibited items but nothing illegal was found during the raids.

The rank who shot Boston during an alleged confrontation is under close arrest pending a thorough investigation. That investigation is being conducted by the Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR).

Boston’s family, through their attorneys Konyo Sandiford and Nigel Hughes called for an independent investigation into the incident.

The Police Force responded to the statement and noted that the issues of concern raised by the Attorneys will be dealt with in the ongoing investigations.

Boston’s wife had told the News Room that he was shot while he was asleep, disputing police reports that the shooting was as a result of a confrontation with the ranks.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.