Buxton teen leaves candle unattended; house destroyed in fire


Tomar Jarvis, 17, of 61 Company Road, Buxton, East Coast Demerara, lost his home on Sunday after leaving a lit candle unattended.

Police said the fire occurred sometime between 20:00hrs and 21:00hrs.

The teen lived in a one flat wooden building measuring 18 feet in length and 15 feet in width resting flat on the earth’s surface, Police reported.

The building was not supplied with electricity from the Guyana Power and Light (GPL).

Police said the teen lit a candle in his home and left for a nearby shop to purchase dinner at around 20:00hrs. When he returned, he saw his home engulfed in flames and immediately raised an alarm.

Fire tenders arrived on the scene, but were unable to save the building.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.