No word from police on murder probe of E’bo businessman
The family of Essequibo businessman Orin Boston is continuing their call for justice weeks after he was shot dead by a member of the SWAT Unit on September 15, 2021, during an anti-crime operation at his Dartmouth, Essequibo Coast house.
The family said there has been no contact from the police to update them on the investigation.
“I didn’t hear nothing at all, I don’t know what is going on, nobody contact me and told me anything, since he dead I heard no updates,” Fiona Boston, the businessman’s wife told the News Room on Wednesday.
The file pertaining to the investigation which was conducted by the Office of Professional Responsibility was completed and forwarded to the Chairman of the Police Complaints Authority, Justice (ret’d) William Ramlall on September 23.
When contacted by the News Room on Tuesday for an update on the investigations, the Head of the Guyana Police Force (GPF)’s Corporate Communications Unit, Mark Ramotar, and Public Relations Officer Stan Gouveia both shifted the responsibility to the other.
Boston’s wife had told the News Room that he was shot while he was asleep, disputing police reports that the shooting was as a result of a confrontation with the ranks.
Police had reported that the rank who shot Boston will be placed under close arrest pending the investigation.
Police Commissioner (ag) Nigel Hoppie had promised a thorough investigation and said that the SWAT Unit was reportedly searching for prohibited items in the house although nothing illegal was found during the raids.
Boston’s family, through their attorneys Konyo Sandiford and Nigel Hughes also called for an independent investigation into the incident.
Meanwhile, his sister, Latacy told the News Room that the family is still awaiting a visit by President Dr. Irfaan Ali.
President Ali had committed his government’s support for a thorough and impartial investigation. The President made these remarks while being engaged on the international stage and had stated that he would engage the family upon his return last month.
The sister also revealed that Boston’s two young children remain traumatised since the shooting.
“They still traumatised, the little boy keep asking for his father and when they father coming back.
“We are waiting to hear if we are going to get justice, presently we don’t know what is going on, if we didn’t have a lawyer I don’t know how we would’ve gotten a little feedback or update,” Latacy explained.