Mahdia businesswoman found dead, husband arrested


Denise Vieira, a 47 year-old businesswoman of Pepper Hill, Mahdia in Region Eight (Potaro- Siparuni), was found dead in her house at around 13:45 hrs on Wednesday.

Police found several wounds on her body including deep cuts about her face and black and blue marks to the neck.

According to the Guyana Police Force (GPF), Vieira lived in a flat concrete structure and operated a small grocery shop in the said building. Her reputed husband, who is a suspect in the matter, lives in the same yard but in a wooden structure. The man is a 33-year-old pork-knocker.

Information from the police stated that the suspect and Vieira were married for about eight years but due to an ongoing domestic dispute between them for some months, Vieira opted to build the concrete structure and live by herself.

On the day of her death, her neighbour stated that she overheard an argument from the couple and reported that Vieira loudly said: “Get out my (expletive) place, leff me alone.”

Subsequently, at about 13:30 hrs, the neighbour reported that the suspect left his house and proceeded next door and was hanging with some friends. At about 13:45 hrs, however, a customer went into Vieria’s shop to purchase some items but the woman was not seen; she did not respond to calls either.

As such, the woman’s reputed husband was alerted and reportedly went into the yard to make several checks. Thereafter, he proceeded into the house via the back door and indicated to the customer that he discovered Vieira on the kitchen floor motionless.

She appeared to be dead with what appears to be blood oozing from her mouth, nose and about her face, the husband indicated.

The customer said that the woman’s husband attempted to revive her by shaking her but she was unresponsive and he put her to lie on her back.

Vieira was taken to the Mahdia District Hospital where she was officially pronounced dead; an autopsy is expected to be done soon.

Police said the suspect was contacted, told of the allegation, cautioned and he denied. He was arrested and placed into custody as the investigations continue.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.