Murder accused tampered with quarantine housing unit to escape from Lusignan prison


One week after he was remanded to prison on two counts of murder, Kapildeo Gangadin, 24, escaped from the Lusignan Prison early on Thursday.

Members of the Joint Services have since launched a manhunt for the double-murder accused.

Director of Prisons (ag) Nicklon Elliot confirmed the escape took place sometime around 04:05 hrs, after a routine check was conducted.

In a statement, the Prison Service confirmed that Gangadin was housed in the quarantine section of the Prison.

From initial investigations, Gangadin had tampered with the housing unit. Upon gaining entry from the housing unit, he ventured to the back of the prison where he used a cloth-pole to scale the fence.

He proceeded into the farms where he scaled the gate and made good his escape into the dumpsite, the prison service said.

Kapildeo Gangadin

Immediately, a joint patrol was reportedly set up at the outer perimeter of the prison and a search has been launch by the Joint Services to recapture the escape.

The Prison Service is warning persons that aiding and abetting the escape is a criminal offence.

Anyone knowing the whereabouts of the escapee should contact the nearest Police station or call 911.

Gangadin of Annandale, ECD was charged with the fatal stabbing of 20-year-old Ganesh ‘Chris’ Persaud on October 15, 2021, and the January 18, 2020 murder of 24-year-old fisherman Mukesh Mangra known as ‘Paul’.

Gangadin appeared in the Cove and John Magistrate’s Court on October 20 and was not required to plea to the two counts of murder.

He was first charged with the murder of Persaud, who was killed on October 15, at his family’s electronics store – Deals on Electronics at Strathspey.

According to the police, Persaud was inside his hardware store when he was reportedly confronted by Gangadin at around 16:30hrs. During the confrontation, Gangadin allegedly stabbed Persaud to his neck and relieved him of a gold chain and a quantity of cash.

Meanwhile, hours after the murder, Gangadin was caught by a mobile police patrol and the gold chain he reportedly stole from Persaud was found in his possession. Police Headquarters had reported that Gangadin allegedly confessed to Persaud’s murder when the allegation was put to him.

While in custody, Gangadin also admitted to the murder of Mangra.

On January 18, 2020, the body of Mangra was discovered with multiple stab wounds and lacerations. He was attacked and killed during an alleged robbery, the police reported.



Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.