‘Christmas night fire’ destroys Friendship house; 4 homeless
Four persons are homeless after a Christmas night fire destroyed their house at Company Road, Friendship on the East Coast of Demerara (ECD).
According to a report from the Guyana Fire Service, at around 21:32 hrs on Saturday night, two fire tenders from the Melanie and Campbellville Fire Stations responded to the scene at a two-storey wooden and concrete building.
The top floor was occupied by Estwick Leitch and Edorl Leitch, while the ground floor was occupied by Carlton Leitch and Odette Cummings.
The suspected cause of the fire is an overloaded electrical circuit; feedback to the distribution panel reportedly sparked and ignited nearby combustible materials.
The building and its contents were completely destroyed.
Additionally, one silver grey Honda bearing registration number PMM 8427 and owned by Carlton Leitch was completely destroyed while a red and black Honda CG150 with the number plate CE 4927 and owned by Lincoln Leitch suffered severe damage to the seat and electrical wiring.