Rank who shot Orin Boston to be charged for manslaughter

0

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has recommended that charges be laid against a member of the SWAT Unit who reportedly shot and killed Essequibo businessman, Orin Boston in September last year. Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum confirmed to the News Room that manslaughter charges were recommended for the rank, a police constable.

Boston of Dartmouth, Essequibo was shot during an anti-crime operation – the SWAT unit was reportedly searching for prohibited items in Boston’s house although nothing illegal was found during the raids.

Regional Commander Woman Superintendent Denise Griffith had demanded that justice be served two months after the shooting.

Following the shooting of Boston on September 15, 2021, residents began protesting, blocking the main bridge along the road and setting debris on fire. And Commander Griffith had said that the situation was not completely calm since residents were awaiting the outcome of the investigation.

The investigation which was conducted by the Office of Professional Responsibility was forwarded to the Chairman of the Police Complaints Authority, Justice (ret’d) William Ramlall on September 23, 2021.
The file was earlier this month completed and sent to the DPP for legal advice.

Boston’s family had disputed the police’s claims that he was shot during a confrontation and alleged that he was shot in his sleep.

Meanwhile, Commander Griffith said ranks are trained to only use their weapons when their lives are in danger. She said when a weapon is drawn, it must always be the last resort and when using it, ranks are also trained to aim at the lower limbs.

 

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.