Reports of people fetching dead relative to cemetery not true – Health Minister
Minister of Health Dr Frank Anthony has dispelled reports that a Region One (Barima-Waini) family had to walk their dead relative to the cemetery.
In fact, the Health Minister said that on Thursday, the body was transported from the Mabaruma Hospital to the cemetery after the family requested the use of a tractor from the Mabaruma Town Council.
“Whatever is being circulated is patently false and I guess there are people out there who just like to spread rumours,” Dr Anthony said.
His comments come after reports on social media began circulating that the family had requested transportation from the Mabaruma Town Council but was denied.
Regional Chairman Brentnol Ashley told the News Room that it was a Venezuelan migrant who died and relatives requested assistance to transport the body to the hospital. The family resides in Khan’s Hill.
Ashley explained that relatives called for assistance from the Town Council but before the Council could render assistance, relatives had already started to fetch the body.
He said the Council’s tractor met the family halfway and assisted them.
“They were assisted in all possible way,” Ashley said.
Recently, photographs surfaced on Facebook of another man who had to fetch his dead child from the Mabaruma hospital to the cemetery.
Dr Anthony had announced that an investigation has been launched into this incident to ensure there is no recurrence.
Minister Anthony had explained that standard procedure would have been for the family to access a vehicle that operates between the police and the Ministry of Health.