Five more die from COVID in two days; 471 new cases recorded
Five more people have succumbed after they were infected with the novel coronavirus, according to information provided by the Ministry of Health.
With these deaths, there have been 1,165 COVID-19 deaths recorded since the start of the pandemic in March, 2020. And, 110 of those deaths were recorded during this month alone.
The latest deaths, as reported by the Health Ministry are as follows:
- A 74-year-old man from Region Four (Demerara- Mahaica) who died on January 29; his vaccination status is unknown
- An 86-year-old unvaccinated man from Region Three (Essequibo Islands- West Demerara) who died on January 28
- A 73-year-old partially vaccinated man from Region Six (East Berbice- Corentyne) who died on January 28
- A 68-year-old unvaccinated woman from Region Five (Mahaica- Berbice) who died on January 29
- A 55-year-old unvaccinated man from Region Six who died on January 28
Meanwhile, another 471 people have been infected with the virus over a 24-hour period. With these additional cases, the number of confirmed infections in Guyana since March 11, 2020 has increased to 54,450.
These new infections were recorded from: Region One (37 cases), Region Two (13 cases), Region Three (61 cases), Region Four (150 cases), Region Five (33 cases), Region Six (49 cases), Region Seven (11 cases), Region Eight (33 case), Region Nine (78 cases) and Region 10 (six cases).
There are also 20 patients receiving critical care in the COVID-19 Intensive Care Unit (ICU), 204 people in institutional isolation, seven people in institutional quarantine and 10,967people in home isolation.
Importantly, a total of 47,094 people have recovered after they were infected with the disease.