Two trawlers, ‘special vessel’ to aid in search of missing fishermen
Five days after a seabob trawler with three fishermen onboard reportedly sank near the Mahaica River offshore Guyana, search efforts are being expanded as previous efforts proved futile.
This is according to Minister within the Ministry of Public Works Deodat Indar who told the News Room on Thursday that the dive team involved in the search efforts will return offshore Guyana on Friday.
Three fishermen- Captain Harold Damon, Winston Sam and Ronald Burton- have been missing since Saturday last when the Noble House Seafoods trawler they were travelling on reportedly sank near in the Mahaica River, offshore Guyana.
The trio alongside another seaman, Vincent Dazzell, were working aboard the vessel. Dazzell was rescued by another vessel but the others were not so lucky.
Based on accounts from Dazzell, the vessel sank about 26 miles from the Mahaica River. But, search efforts conducted over the past few days in this area only led to the discovery of the men’s fishing net.
Now, Indar explained that the dive team will expand their search by an additional two miles. He also said that two trawlers, in addition to the special vessel that can detect metal on the seafloor, will be deployed.
“The survivor [Dazzell] said they were wearing life jackets so they probably went down with the vessel,” Indar said, explaining that the team needs to dive underwater to search for the men and the vessel.
A multi-agency Board of Inquiry has been set up to investigate the incident. Expected distress signals, MARAD’s Director-General Stephen Thomas said previously, were not issued and it is unclear why Noble House Seafoods did not immediately report that the men were in distress when they radioed for assistance.