Missing fishermen: ‘intense’ search continues
The lone survivor of the Noble House Seafood vessel mishap, Vincent Dazzel, was reportedly subjected to another round of questioning as the search and recovery mission for the bodies of his boat captain and crew members continue.
This was revealed by the Minister of Public Works, Juan Edghill on Friday when asked for an update on the matter.
“From my understanding, he was questioned again by the police and by the Board of Inquiry and he is cooperating fully with the investigations,” Edghill told the News Room via telephone interview.
Since February 19, the three fishermen – Captain Harold Anthony Damon and his crew members Ronald Burton and Winston Sam – went missing in the vicinity of the Mahaica River after the Noble House Seafoods vessel they were in capsized. Dazzell was rescued after the boat capsized. He told family members and authorities about the mishap.
Saturday will mark two weeks since the mishap occurred and the Maritime Department’s (MARAD) search mission for the bodies has been unsuccessful thus far. Family members have been holding out hope for the safe return of the men.
“But the intense search is still going and we will continue. A report will then be compiled to determine how long the search will continue, once we have searched everywhere possible for the bodies because the families need closure,” he added.
Based on a recount given by Dazzell, the boat was becoming inundated and Captain Damon radioed the company for assistance. After the vessel capsized, Dazzell managed to escape. He, however, stated that the other crew members appeared to be trapped under the vessel and could not be saved.
Expected distress signals, MARAD’s Director-General Stephen Thomas said previously, were not issued and it is unclear why Noble House Seafoods did not immediately report that the men were in distress when they radioed for assistance.
And just recently, investigations found that the missing boat captain operated with a fake license, raising more questions.