Power surge caused Wismar fire

0

A power surge which led to the combustion of electrical materials has been deemed the cause of a fire that destroyed a Wismar, Linden house, leaving two homeless.

According to a press release from the Guyana Fire Service, the fire at Lot 55 First Alley, Wismar was reported at about 11:44 hrs on Sunday.

Two fire tenders were immediately dispatched. Based on information provided to the News Room, however, by the time the fire service arrived at the scene, the building was already engulfed in flames. As such, nothing could have been saved.

The wooden house was completely gutted (Photo: News Room/April 3, 2022)

The Fire Service reported that the purported cause of the fire is an electrical power surge that caused “substandard electrical wiring to overheat.”

Because of the overheating, the thermostat of the refrigerator in the house failed and subsequently, overheated the compressor.

This, the fire service said, ignited nearby combustible materials.

The News Room also understands that Marverine Brewley, the 99-year-old woman who owned the house, was rescued from the house by neighbours; her son 66-year-old Joel Brewley was not at home at the time of the fire.

A nearby house was also affected (Photo: Guyana Fire Service/April 3, 2022)

Also affected by this blaze was the wall of a two-storey wooden and concrete house, occupied by 87-year-old Dannly Saul and his family of nine.

Anyone willing to help the family rebuild the house of the elderly woman can make contact on telephone number: 442-1156.

Advertisement
_____
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.