Arson suspected in Good Hope fire
Police are investigating the suspected arson that destroyed a house at Phase One, Good Hope, East Coast Demerara on Friday night.
Homeless is the owner, 59-year-old Asif Shaffie; he was the only occupant in the house at the time of the fire.
A press release from the fire service noted that the report was received at around 21:18hrs. Water Tenders #103 from the Campbellville Fire Station and #106 from Melanie Fire Station were immediately dispatched to the location.
The structure was a two-storey wooden and concrete building.
“The purported cause of the fire is malicious setting by person(s) unknown,” the report noted.
The fire service said it has noted an increase in arson attacks and is advising citizens to not make it easy for an arsonist to start a fire or for an outdoor fire to spread to other buildings.
The following are some preventative tips for you to reduce malicious fires:
- Keep garbage, litter, leaves, firewood, overgrown brush and shrubbery, and other combustibles away from buildings.
- Lock all doors and windows in garages, cars and unoccupied buildings.
- Install outdoor lighting, including motion sensor lights, on all sides of your property.
- Board up abandoned buildings and clean the area of litter and debris.
- Securely store combustibles such as paint, gasoline, and oil in proper flammable storage containers in a locked location to restrict access. Minimize the quantity of combustibles in storage and dispose of materials you don’t need.
- Report suspicious activity near houses or other buildings to the Guyana Fire Service or Guyana Police Force.
- Get to know your neighbours – together you can keep a watchful eye on your community.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach and out of sight of children.
- If you know or suspect that an arson crime has been committed, contact the Guyana Fire Service or Guyana Police Force immediately.