Faulty electrical wiring suspected in West Ruimveldt fire

0

A fire in the wee hours of Monday destroyed a two-storey wooden and concrete house at Lot 188 West Ruimveldt Housing Scheme, Georgetown.

The building was owned and occupied by Shabikie Fernandes, the fire service noted in a press release.

The fire occurred at around 04:30hrs and according to the report, the purported cause of the fire is faulty electrical wiring which resulted in arcing and sparking, ignited and spread to nearby combustibles.

The remains of the fire ravaged property

Also affected by the blaze was a two-storey wooden and concrete building next door, owned by Rudolph Sam. Sam and three others lived there.

Due to radiated heat from the fire, one AC unit was slightly damaged and 10 metres of PVC guttering on the northern side of Sam’s house were also destroyed.

The Guyana Fire Service continues to encourage citizens to equip their homes with smoke detectors and fire extinguishers and to adhere to safety measures in order to protect their home and loved ones from fire emergencies.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.