Chinese national electrocuted at Vreed-en-Hoop
A Chinese national received electric shock and burns about his hands and body while working at the Chicken n’ Burger Delight, Vreed-en-Hoop, Region Three location on Wednesday.
The owner of the Chicken n’ Burger, Chetan Puran, told the News Room that the incident could have been avoided had the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) removed an electrical post with high voltage wires months ago.
Puran said the incident occurred at about 11:30hrs. The injured man was working with a company hired to do some aluminum works on the property.
Puran recalled that they heard sparks from the wires and upon investigating, found that the man had been injured.
He was taken to the West Demerara Regional Hospital where he is being treated.
A frustrated Puran told the News Room that he requested that GPL remove the wires about a year ago.
“We are getting a lot of push around from GPL.
“We are annoyed because we have been insisting and pleading with GPL for over a year. Since we started construction there, we have asked them to move that wire; it is impeding over our boundary and, secondly, it is a risk,” Puran told the News Room.
GPL has been contacted for comment on the issue.