Two months later: questions linger about boat captain’s death, police seeking legal advice


Family members of Saigon Hopkinson, the 28-year-old boat captain who was found dead inside a fuel tank on June 06, continue to seek answers about the man’s death, two months after the dreadful discovery.

The Guyana Police Force (GPF) is seeking legal advice on the way forward.
Hopkinson’s mother, Sharmin Defreitas told the News Room on Sunday that the family remains dissatisfied with the investigation into her son’s demise.

The woman said that investigators have not updated the family on any progress made.

“Everybody just have their mouth close, nobody telling us anything,” a frustrated DeFreitas told the News Room during a telephone interview.

Hopkinson of Bartica, Region Seven, was employed as a boat captain to transport fuel from Bartica to the Essequibo Coast in Region Two. He was discovered inside the fuel tank of the vessel he operated at the David Shurland Wharf at Adventure along the Essequibo Coast.

Previously, his mother told the News Room that it appeared impossible for the man to fall inside the tanker given the small size of the opening.u

Moreover, she claimed that several marks of violence were observed on his body.

As such, she has been pleading with the police to thoroughly investigate the matter.

“… we need justice for our beloved son,” she said.

The autopsy report, however, did not confirm marks of violence on his body. It was also reported that he died as a result of chemical inhalation.

Asked for an update on the matter, Regional Commander Shivpersaud Bacchus said that the police file has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for advice.

He could not recall when the file was sent. On June 29, the News Room reported that investigators were working to wrap up investigations soon and send the file to the DPP for advice.

Now, however, Bacchus said that they are awaiting this advice before moving ahead with the matter.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.