Stabbing incident leaves one dead


The Central Islamic Organization of Guyana (CIOG) Friday night confirmed the stabbing death of Kareem Kayum of Regent Street, Georgetown.

In a Facebook post, the CIOG regarded him as a “beloved brother” and said he was murdered. No other details were provided.

But according to reports, Kayum was at the Origination’s Woolford Avenue, Georgetown location when he got into a heated argument with another man.

The exchange turned physical and Kayum was stabbed by the other man, identified as Afzal Dindyal, a student at the University of Guyana.

Kayum was rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Dindyal was arrested subsequently and remains in custody. Both men are reportedly members of the Muslim Youth Organisation, the youth arm of CIOG.

The CIOG said Kayum was a member of the Queenstown Jama Masjid. Funeral arrangements will be announced later.

EDITOR’s NOTE: The police subsequently released the following statement. 

Police in Regional Division #4A are reporting the alleged murder of 24-year-old Kareem Kyum, a goldsmith of Regent Street, Bourda,  Georgetown which occurred on 2022-08-12 about 22:40hrs, at Muslim Youth Organization ground Woodford Avenue Georgetown, committed by a 21-year-old male suspect who is in custody.

Investigations revealed that the deceased and the suspect were known to each other and would play cricket together at the said ground every Friday evening. Police were told that during their usual encounter the victim complained that the suspect was calling him unsavory names and was cautioned by an elder person to desist from same.

The deceased and suspect subsequently became involved in scuffle during which the suspect was seen with a knife in his hand and a reddish substance that appeared to be blood coming from the deceased’s chest area. The victim was rushed  to the GPHC after the suspect was subdued, where on arrival he was seen by a doctor but died while receiving treatment. The body is presently lying at GPHC mortuary awaiting PME.

The suspect was arrested and taken to the Alberttown Police Station where he gave a written statement before being placed into custody. Investigation is in progress

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.