Child playing with lighter sets apartment building on fire


Firefighters were able to save an apartment building at lot 34 Friendship Public Road, East Bank Demerara (EBD), from a massive blaze on Friday. It is believed that the fire was caused by a child playing with a cigarette lighter. Naked flames reportedly came into contact with a mattress and ignited.

According to a release from the Guyana Fire Service, the fire was reported at about 11:02hrs on Friday. A water tender from the Diamond, EBD, fire station was immediately dispatched to the location.

The apartment building, a two storey wooden and concrete structure, owned by 51-year-old Yonette Wiltshire was aflame.

It was, however, noted that the swift action by firefighters resulted in minimal damage to the building and a quick extinction of the fire.

Even so, one bunk bed, two foam mattresses, one barrel and one electrical fan were severely damaged by the blaze.

The Guyana Fire Service continues to advise citizens to exercise caution and to follow safety measures to avoid fires in the home.

It noted that children should be educated on the dangers of fire starters (matches, lighters) and warned about their use. Children should not be left unattended or at home without adult supervision, either.

The fire service has also advised that houses be equipped with fire prevention and firefighting devices such as smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.