15 monkeypox samples taken in Guyana, confirmed cases expected to be discharged soon
Fifteen monkeypox samples were taken by the Ministry of Health and tested from persons living in Guyana, with only two having positive results, Health Minister Dr Frank Anthony reported.
The Health Minister during his daily COVID-19 Update on Wednesday said the samples were taken from persons living in Regions Two, Four, Five and Eight. He further said the two confirmed cases are expected to be discharged from the Infectious Diseases Hospital at Liliendaal, East Coast Demerara soon.
“We have tested about 15 samples and of those 15 two came back positive.
“We had a few samples from one of the hinterland regions, Region Eight, but generally these samples came from Regions Two, Four, Five and Eight,” the Health Minister said.
He added that “none of the persons that we have in quarantine have shown any signs of developing monkeypox which is a very good thing but again we have monitor them for at least 21 days.”
In addition, he said the doctors have to determine whether the two positive cases can be discharged. He noted that the discharge is expected to for this week.
Two weeks ago, Guyana confirmed its first monkeypox case, a 57-year-old man from Region Four (Demerara-Mahaica). The second case, a woman in her 30s, was announced a week later.
Since then, the two patients have been isolated and the local health authorities started the process of contact tracing and testing.