Pressure pot explodes setting Crabwood Creek house on fire

0

A man, his wife and two children – ages 11 and 7 – are now homeless after the house they were living in went up in flames following the explosion of a pressure cooker earlier on Thursday.

Hemchand Bacchus, 47, a labourer of Crabwood Creek, Upper Corentyne, Berbice, told the News Room that he was not at home when the fire started.

He said when he arrived home, his wife and children were already out of the house but his wife sustained burns on her back from the blaze.

His wife, 47-year-old Nalini Sarju told him that she was cooking in the kitchen around 7:00hrs when the pressure pot that was on the stove exploded.

“The gyal binna pressure thing on the stove and the pressure pot blow off and everything catch fire,” Bacchus explained.

Hemchand Bacchus and his two children

The Fire Service was contacted but nothing was saved as the flames quickly walked through the entire two storey wooden building.

Bacchus, a labourer, said he is now left with the stress of how he will provide shelter and also put food on the table for his family.

The fire is a huge set back as he indicated that he has worked all his life to furnish and build a comfortable home for his family.

He is estimating a loss of $3 million and will be staying with a neighbour in the meantime.

He is also hoping that persons can assist, especially with school items for his children since all of their school clothing, books and stationery supplies were destroyed in the blaze.

Bacchus said if persons want to assist in any other way, he will also be grateful.

Those desirous of helping can contact him on cell number 653-7440.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.