Mahaicony family distraught after kero stove sets house on fire

1

A family of five is now homeless after a fire that evidently started from a lit kerosene stove destroyed their home on Thursday afternoon.

Alim Razack, 25, of Champagne, Burma Road, Mahaicony, who lived in the now destroyed house told the News Room that the fire started sometime between 14:00hrs and 14:30 hrs. He said the fire quickly engulfed the structure made of zinc and wood.

The house was owned by the man’s mother, 49-year-old Niranjani Jannia; she lived there with her other son Nazim and his two sons, ages 5 and 6.

“Everything burn down, everything in the house burn. We don’t have anywhere to go. I don’t know what to do,” Alim said.

Alim said his bother told him that he lit the kerosene stove to cook some but before he could start, the fire flared and eventually spread to the house.

Neighbours who were home at the time assisted to put out the fire but their efforts were futile as the house was quickly engulfed and destroyed.

Alim said there was not anything anyone could have done.

One of Nazim’s sons was at home at the time, but he was quickly taken out.

The family has been living in the house for many years, the man related.

Salim Razack, 29, another brother who lives within the vicinity of the house, told the News Room that the house had all the family’s documents, money, clothes and food.

He said the family is currently at his home while they figure out what can be done for them to return to normalcy after the catastrophic loss.

Persons who wish to assist the family can contact Salim Razack on 658-4148

1 Comment
  1. Patricia Pierre says

    What a sad state of affairs for that family who lived in that house for do many years – all their important, money, clothes, furniture and I could go on and on have been destroyed. I grieve for them but what is mere words minus action. I do hope that some good Ssmarattan would le t able o help restore them to a life of normalcy.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.