Two employees arrested after weapons go missing from security firm


Six firearms and a quantity of ammunition were allegedly stolen from Radar Security and supplies between Sunday and Monday; two employees have been arrested as Police probe the case.

Police Headquarters, in a statement, said that two single-barrel shotguns valued at $950,000, four 9mm taurus pistols valued at $1,400,000 and five taurus .32 pistols valued at $1,425,000 were stolen.

Additionally, 25 12-gauge cartridges, 538 .32 rounds of ammunition, and 18 9mm rounds of ammunition were also allegedly stolen sometime between 10:00hrs on Christmas Day and 18:30 hrs on Boxing Day from the security company’s office at Lot 79 Carmichael Street, Georgetown.

The alleged robbery was reported to Police at 20:35hrs on Monday and detectives visited the scene shortly after.

The Radar Security and Supplies’ office is located in the middle flat of a three-storey wooden building. There is an office to the western side, which has a wooden door to the eastern side, secured with a manufactured Yale lock.

In that office, there is a steel “strongbox” where the security firm secures firearms and ammunition. The strongbox is secured with two padlocks and inside the strongbox, the firearms are chained and padlocked with three padlocks.

On Christmas Day, the firm’s Chief Security Officer, a 72-year-old from Guyhoc Park, checked the firearms and all were intact.

But at 18:30hrs on Boxing Day, a 65-year-old weapons training officer from Enterprise, East Coast Demerara ECD), visited the location and met a 57-year-old Security Guard from Tucville who was on duty.

The training officer observed that the door to the office was left ajar.

He then entered the office, where he reportedly observed that the padlocks on the strongbox were cut off; the chain that secured the firearms was also cut, and the firearms mentioned were missing. Two other shotguns were left in the strong box.

The training officer then informed the owner of the security service of his findings.

At the scene, detectives observed that the padlocks and chain were indeed cut. The two shotguns were removed from the strong box and lodged. The office was checked, but there were no signs of breakage.

Meanwhile, the 57-year-old security guard was questioned and he claimed that at 17:00hrs on Boxing Day, he took over duty from a 36-year-old security guard from Paradise Housing Scheme, East Coast Demerara (ECD). That guard reportedly handed over the key for the said office that housed the strongbox.

The 57-year-old guard said that he did not check the office door, nor did he go into the office. He was arrested, and a search was carried out at his home, but nothing was found.

Checks were made for the 36-year-old security guard at his stated address at Paradise but no one was seen at the house, which seems to have been abandoned.

The training officer was also arrested and questioned and his home was searched, but nothing was found. He is presently in custody.

Investigations continue.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.