State House attacker ‘communicating’ well, visitors still restricted; injured guard discharged


The Nigerian national who carried out a daring attack at the President’s official residence – State House – almost a month ago remains hospitalised under police guard at the Georgetown Public Hospital.

The News Room was reliably informed that Bethel Chenezie is conscious, oriented, stable, tolerating meals and able to communicate well.

Reports indicate that he is no longer on the ventilator.

He’s being managed for a wound by the orthopaedic team at the GPHC. Sources have since confirmed that people, including the suspect’s wife, are still restricted from visiting him at the public hospital.

Telon Perreira, the Presidential Guard whom he stabbed multiple times, was discharged from the hospital on December 29, 2022.

Presidential Guard Telon Perreira recovering at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (Photo: Office of the President/ December 24, 2022)

Ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) have already conducted their interview with the suspect and when contacted on Tuesday for an update on the probe, Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum would only say that the investigation is ongoing.

The News Room understands that he has been ordered to undergo a psychological evaluation.

Persons who have heard Chenezie’s informal ramblings have said he claims to have had “visions”. He reportedly claimed that he went to State House to sit with the President and share those visions.

His residence was also searched and persons with whom he had recent dealings were also questioned.

The top brass of the Guyana Police Force has committed to providing details to the media and the public when it becomes appropriate to do so.

On December 15, 2022, Chenezie, who possesses a Nigerian passport, showed up at State House and demanded to see President Irfaan Ali.

He proceeded to stab the Presidential Guard five times about his neck and body before disarming a female Presidential Guard and firing several shots at the building.

Chenezie was later shot three times by other members of the President’s security detail.

The injured Presidential Guard was promoted on Christmas Eve day while he laid in his hospital bed.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.