Eight homeless after Agricola house destroyed by electrical fire


A 29-year-old woman and her family of seven are now homeless after a fire destroyed her Lot 35 Public Road Agricola, Georgetown, house on Friday.

According to a release from the Guyana Fire Service, the fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring that sparked and ignited nearby combustible materials before spreading to the entire house.

Water tenders from the Eccles and Diamond fire stations were dispatched to the location after the fire report was made at 14:50hrs.

The structure involved in the fire was a one-flat wooden and concrete building owned by 29-year-old Bibi Mohamed and occupied by herself and her family of seven. The entire building and its contents were destroyed, leaving the family of eight homeless.

Also affected by the blaze were three other houses at the same location, also owned by Mohamed.

The Fire Service said that radiated heat from the building of origin, caused damages to a 20 feet concrete wall, 10 feet of wooden ceiling, a quantity of clothing, window panes, and books, some PVC pipes and guttering.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.