Regent St electrocution reason for GT, West Dem. shutdown- GPL


A man who was working on a multi-storey building next door to Royal Jewel House on Regent Street, Georgetown, sustained severe burns on his body after he came into contact with the power company’s network on Tuesday.

The Guyana Power and Light (GPL), in a brief statement, noted that the man came into contact with the network via a metal pole and this resulted in a shutdown of power in “sections of Georgetown, the entire West Bank and West Coast Demerara.”

The incident occurred at around 09:20hrs.

“Once again, GPL implores contractors to observe the necessary safety precautions to avoid injury and unnecessary service disruptions.  Our teams have commenced restoration to affected areas,” the GPL release concluded.

Meanwhile, the Guyana Police Force noted that the man came into contact with “a high-voltage electrical wire” while doing construction work at the top of the building.

“The man received extensive burns on his body and was rushed to the hospital. Thankfully, he is alive!” the Police Force noted.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.