Wife burnt after husband throws stove during argument over cellphone
A 40-year-old woman is now hospitalised in a stable condition after she was allegedly burnt by her husband on Tuesday during an argument at their Berbice home.
The News Room was reliably informed that Zeena Harripal sustained burns to her back and face during the incident which occurred between 19:30hrs and 20:00hrs.
Reports are that Harripal was cooking at her No. 69 Village, Corentyne home when an argument erupted with her husband, Edward Sukhu over a cell phone.
The argument escalated and Harripal turned away, backing Sukhu.
As a result, Sukhu, who was under the influence, threw the kerosene stove on Harripal causing her hair and clothing to catch on fire.
During the process, the couple’s 20-year-old son rushed to help Harripal when his clothing also caught on fire.
The suspect then attempted to escape but slip and fell, hitting his head during the process. The couple was rushed to the hospital while their son was treated for minor burns and discharged.
The News Room understands that the couple would have frequent arguments during which Sukhu would allegedly abuse the woman.