Two die in Corentyne accident, three others injured


An accident between a car and an electric bike on the Hampshire Public Road, Corentyne, Berbice on Tuesday night resulted in the death of two men and the hospitalization of others.

Dead are the driver of the car, 24-year-old Dinesh ‘Brandon’ Ramsammy of Kilcoy/Chesney Village, Corentyne Berbice and 60-year-old Munir Khan of Albion, Corentyne, Berbice, the rider of the electric bike.

Ramsammy was a mechanic and a father of two while Khan was a watchman attached to the Alim Sha Store in Rose Hall Town, Berbice.

Police Headquarters reported that Ramsammy had three other persons in the car (PRR 7985) – Rameshwar Sookram, 23; Joseph Kamaladeen, 29; and Rajkumar Veerapen, 31.

The Police report noted that Ramsammy was speeding east along the northern drive lane of the road when he lost control and collided with the electric bike which was proceeding west along the southern footpath of the said road.

The accident occurred at around 23:30 hrs. As a result of the collision, the rider of the electric bike was pitched onto the southern parapet and then into a drain where he received injuries to his body.

The car turned turtle and ended up facing east to west with extensive damage.

They were all picked up by the Police and public-spirited citizens and taken to Port Mourant Public Hospital where Ramsammy and Khan were pronounced dead.

The occupants of the car were referred to New Amsterdam Public Hospital where they were further seen and examined by doctors on duty, treated and admitted as patients in the male surgical ward.

They are said to be stable.

Meanwhile, Ramsammy’s wife, Vashti Amarnauth told the News Room that he left home in a customer’s car that he had to repair.

“He leff home and seh he going and do welding work on the car,” the woman said, adding that when she called him at around 21:00 hrs, Ramsammy told her he was heading to buy parts in Skeldon.

“When me call he back around 10:00, he seh he deh ah drink with dem boys and then me call he back later but the funeral parlour answer the phone and seh he na mek it,” the tearful wife said.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.