Charity Market Fire: Sparks and smoke seen emanating from electrical meter


While the cause of the fire that destroyed 25 stalls at the Charity Market in Region Two Thursday night is yet to be confirmed, the Guyana Police Force on Friday said its ranks who were the first responders observed that sparks and smoke were coming from an electrical meter.

As such, it is highly believed that the fire was electrical in nature.

The Guyana Police Force and the Fire Service are probing the fire that destroyed the mid-section of the Charity Market.

According to the statement from Police Headquarters, at about 19:15hrs, a Sergeant of Police on his way to the Charity Police Station observed smoke emanating from the roof in the middle of the market and immediately alerted the security guards employed by NM Security Services.

The market gates, which were locked and secured with padlocks, were opened by the police with the keys lodged at the Charity Police Station.

“Upon checking, it was observed that sparks and smoke were coming from an electrical meter, which is located at the centre of the market,” the police statement noted.

Fire engulfs the Charity Market.

Efforts by the security guards, police ranks, and residents who formed a bucket brigade in an attempt to extinguish the fire were futile.

Firefighters from the Anna Regina Fire Service responded and immediately went into action but were unable to save 25 of the reported 85 stalls in the market.

Part of the market roof collapsed.

Leading Fireman Tribuwan and Section Officer Springer received electric shocks while an object fell on the head of Fireman Ramdahin, who received minor injuries.

They were all rushed to the Suddie Public Hospital for medical attention.

The estimated damage/loss is yet to be determined.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.