Berbice man runs away with attackers’ gun during scuffle


A New Amsterdam, Berbice man escaped a beating in the wee hours of Saturday after he managed to relieve his attackers of a gun.

Police said the incident between 03:20hrs and 03:45hrs in the vicinity of a supermarket at Essex Street, New Amsterdam where one suspected .38 Revolver and one live .38 ammunition were recovered.

A statement from Police Headquarters noted that a 29-year-old Security Guard attached to J’s Supermarket claimed that he saw Oswain Lawson called ‘Blacka’ running towards the supermarket with a male and female chasing behind him.

The guard stated that he saw Lawson throw what appeared to be a firearm into the supermarket compound.

He was immediately attacked by the man and the woman who enquired about the firearm.

Lawson managed to run away and the duo left in an unknown direction.

The guard immediately informed the Police, and ranks went to J’s Supermarket, where the suspected .38 Revolver and one live .38 ammunition were seen.

Police took the firearm and ammunition to the Central Police Station where they saw Lawson, who had gone to make a report about the incident.

Lawson claimed that he and the woman had a misunderstanding that led to a scuffle.

He said the woman pulled out what appeared to be a firearm from her waist, and as a result, he lashed her with a Guinness bottle to the right hand, causing the firearm to fall to the ground.

Lawson said he picked up the firearm and ran through Essex Street, and the male and female gave chase behind him with pieces of wood in their hands.

He said as he ran through Essex Street and threw the firearm into the supermarket compound after the man and woman caught up with him.

Marks of violence were seen on Lawson’s body, and Police took him to the New Amsterdam Public Hospital for medical attention. He is presently in Police custody, assisting with the investigation.

The suspected firearm and ammunition were marked, sealed and lodged in his presence at the Central Police Station. Efforts by the Police so far to locate the identifiable man and woman have proven futile.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.