Wedding house robbery/ murder: Man dies after shot to head, another critical 


One man is dead and another is in a critical state after they were shot during a robbery at a Canal No. 2 Polder, West Bank Demerara (WBD), wedding house on Sunday night.

Dead is 40-year-old Stanleytown, WBD, resident Natram Persaud; he was also called Vishal. Manipaul Rambarhak, called Anand, a 57-year-old farmer of Canal #2 Polder, is critically injured.

Police Headquarters reported that three male bandits, all dressed in dark clothing and wearing masks, invaded a wedding celebration at Canal No. 2. at about 20:50 hrs Sunday.

Rambarhak was reportedly sitting at the western side of the entrance with a friend when the three masked men approached him. One of the men, who was armed with a handgun, discharged two rounds at him and relieved him of his gold band valued some $250,000.

The bandits then left the yard but Persaud reportedly chased after them. During an ensuing scuffle with one of the bandits, a loud explosion was heard and persons saw Persaud fall to the ground.

The three bandits then made good their escape east of the Canal No. 2 Polder Access Road.

Relatives then went to the assistance of Rambarhak and Persaud but observed that they both received gunshot injuries.

Rambarhak was taken to the Woodlands Hospital where he underwent an emergency operation; his condition was listed as critical. He reportedly received a gunshot injury to his stomach which exited his lower back

Meanwhile, Persaud was taken to the West Demerara Regional Hospital where he was pronounced dead by a doctor on duty. He received a gunshot injury to the back of his head.

Persaud’s body is presently lying at the Ezekiel Funeral Home at Best Village, West Coast Demerara (WCD), awaiting a post-mortem examination.

Police also reported that detectives processed the scene and three .45mm spent shells were recovered. One on the bridge area and two at the entrance of the yard. Several CCTV cameras are mounted around the building where the wedding was held and these will be reviewed by detectives.

Several persons were questioned as investigations continue.

1 Comment
  1. habeeb says

    This incident was reported on FACEBOOK since early last night but, only now, the Police and the News papers
    could publish it… you people are really, really slow down there- even Molasses move faster.
    You are so many hours late with this news.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.