$69M recovered by labour ministry in 2023 for unpaid workers


Following numerous complaints, the Ministry of Labour was able to recover $69 million owed to employees in 2023 for salaries, annual leave and severance pay.

The figure represents a 22 percent increase from 2022.

Minister of Labour, Joseph Hamilton made this revelation on Tuesday at his ministry’s end-of-year press conference.

According to Hamilton, in 2023, the labour ministry received 912 complaints from employees, 85 percent of which were resolved. The remaining 15 percent will be addressed in the first quarter of 2024.

“Coming out of the complaints, that is where all of the monies were owed and we would have engaged and we were able to get the money for the people.

“We are glad that we were able to recoup at least up to this moment $69M for ordinary people,” Hamilton said.

Further, for the period, Hamilton said 32 matters were filed in the magistrates’ court by the ministry on behalf of employees.

“We have taken people to court and we will continue,” Hamilton said.

The cases before the court include failure to pay minimum wage, salary and wages and annual leave.

“In the security (sector) and other places people work forever. Years and they haven’t got seven days yet for one year,” Hamilton said.

Out of the cases, he said judgements were handed down in 21, while the other 11 are still active.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.