Illegal electrical connection cause of East Ruimveldt fire

0

A fire destroyed an East Ruimveldt Squatting area, Georgetown shack on Saturday because of an illegal electricity connection

The shack was owned and occupied by 39-year-old Brandon Britton.

In a statement, the Guyana Fire Service said they received a call about the fire at 11:11hrs.

Firefighters extinguishing the fire (Photo: GFS/July 06, 2024)

A team of 13 firefighters, two tenders and a water carrier, carrying over 6000 liters of water was dispatched to the scene.

While, they managed to extinguish the blaze, the building and its contents were destroyed, the Fire Service said.

Due to the heat, the wall of a neighbouring building owned and occupied by Ruby Francis, 39 and her family of eight was affected.

Upon investigating, the Fire Service said it was revealed that a “slack” connection of illegal wiring, which resulted in arcing and sparking, igniting nearby combustible materials and caused the fire.

The shack following the fire (Photo: GFS/July 06, 2024)

The GFS continues to warn citizens to desist from using illegal connections for electricity.

“These connections present a serious risk to both life and property since they could cause fires or electrocutions,” the Fire Service said in a statement.

Advertisement _____
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.