Imran Khan ordered to stay away from victim, gets High Court bail


After more than a month on remand at the Camp Street jail for the attempted murder of a disabled man, 32-year-old businessman, Abdul Imran Khan was granted $700,000 bail by High Court Judge, Sandil Kissoon.

After Magistrates at the Georgetown Court continued to remand him to prison, Khan’s lawyer, Glen Hanoman moved to the High Court and bail was granted on Tuesday December 4 .  Attorney Nigel Hughes argued the bail application on behalf of Khan.

He was ordered by the High Court Judge to stay away from the victim, his relatives and witnesses in the case.

Romario Baljeet known as ‘Short Boss’

News Room had reported that Special Prosecutor, Latchmie Rahamat had informed the court while he was on remand, Khan’s relatives called the victim’s father to drop the matter.

Additionally, a male relative of the defendant went to the victim’s home to settle the matter.

Khan of Austin Street, Campbellville is charged for the indictable offence which alleged that on October 28, 2018, he attempted to murder Romario Baljeet, popularly known as “Short Boss,” outside a Main Street, Georgetown night club.

The matter is currently before Magistrate Leron Daly and is adjourned until January 28, 2019.

The victim suffered a fractured skull as a result of the savage beating and had two relapses since his discharge from the Woodlands Hospital.

The Court heard that on the day in question, Baljeet was at the night club with his friends.

After spending over an hour in the club, they decided to leave, and the defendant and his brother Safraz Kahn were standing at the gateway.

As a result, Baljeet walked between the two men, and Abdul dealt him several punches about his head and face causing him to fall to the ground.

Abdul then took a glass bottle and drinking glass and smashed it on Baljeet’s right side face resulting in injuries and bleeding. Abdul then continued to kick and punch Baljeet again.

Baljeet was picked up in an unconscious state and was taken to the Woodlands Hospital. Two surgeries were done to the victim’s face and more is yet to be done.

The police have obtained CCTV footage from the night club. Safraz Kahn, the General Manager of Pier One Sound, was charged for discharging his licenced firearm. Hepleaded not guilty to the charge. 

EDITOR’S NOTE: The article initially stated that Khan was released on Friday, December 7, however, he was released on December 4.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.