Teen survivor in fiery car crash clings to life


The lone survivor of the car crash Wednesday night at Fort Wellington, West Coast Berbice, has undergone surgery and is clinging to life, his relatives have told the News Room.

The families of the two young men, who lost their lives after the car they were in veered off the road and crashed into a coconut tree before bursting into flames, are finding it hard to come to grips.

Dhaniram Dunraj called Danny, 22, who was driving the car was killed. He was a rice farmer of Lot 359, Chester Village. Also killed was his friend Kelvin Atterly Ward called Ajay, 23, of Lot 240 Britannia, West Coast Berbice.

The two were burnt beyond recognition and from all indications, it appears as if they were pinned inside the car – a black Bluebird with licensed plate number PVV 7982. The position of their burnt remains appears as if they struggled to get out.

The mangled car is wrapped around the coconut tree following the accident

The survivor has been identified as 17-year-old Parmanand Arjune called Pakalu and Ajay.

Both Arjune and Ward were close friends of Dunraj and together they worked the rice fields for cultivation.

On Wednesday night, they went for a game of pools.

The accident occurred on their way back home at about 21:00 hrs.

Speaking with the News Room, Ramdass Arjune, 44, father of the teen survivor, said his son received severe burnt injuries to his back, abdomen, hands and feet.

He said that due to the extent of the injuries to the hand, his son had to undergo surgery.

He remains in a stable condition at the New Amsterdam Hospital.

Arjune related that his son, who was conscious Wednesday evening, explained they were on their way back from a games shop when the accident occurred.

The teen was catapulted out of the vehicle but it was still close by and when the car caught fire, he was burnt.

Ramdass Arjune, father of the teen survivor

Persons who responded to the scene attempted to assist the injured teen but the heat was too intense.

The elder Arjune explained that his son, who was still engulfed in flames, had to drag himself to a safe distance before he was assisted and taken to the Fort Wellington Hospital.

At the home of Dunraj, family members gathered as they comforted the grieving parents who lost their only son.

Jagnanand Dunraj

Speaking with the News Room, Jagnanand Dunraj, 50, fought for words as recalled seeing his only son at approximately 18:00 hrs Wednesday. He explained he got a call later in the night informing him of the gruesome accident.

“When I watched inside I see my son burnt to death and I just sit on the ground because I couldn’t stand up.”

Ward’s mother – Bibi Rasheeda Parjohn

The young Dunraj was described as an industrious individual who was kind and friendly. He was expected to get married in early August.

Meanwhile, Ward’s mother – Bibi Rasheeda Parjohn – described her son as “always willing”. At the time of his demise he was living with relatives at Britannia.

The news of the accident came as a shock to the families of the young men as they were all hardworking and in the prime of their life.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.