Dispute over what time teen boy was shot and taken to GPHC

-Doctor told mother he could have lived if taken to hospital earlier


By Isanella Patoir

The family of 15-year-old Rockey Sawh is left with more questions than answers about his death following reports that even though he was “accidentally” shot in the head early Tuesday evening, he was only taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) hours later – at 02:42h the following day.

The teen’s family was thrown into further despair when a doctor told them that he could have survived if he was taken to the hospital sooner.

The young man, who was a student of Cummings Lodge Secondary School, East Coast Demerara, was “accidentally” shot in the right side of his head by childhood friend, 16-year-old Abdool Wahab; the incident occurred at Wahab’s Sandy Babb Street, Kitty, Georgetown house.

It is alleged that Sawh, who resided at David Street, Kitty, went to Wahab’s house for a sleepover when Wahab broke into his father’s wardrobe and retrieved his father’s licensed .32 Taurus pistol.

It is further alleged that he pointed it at Sawh’s head and “accidentally” pulled the trigger.

Amrita Panday (Photo: News Room/November 19, 2020)

The Guyana Police Force pegged the time of the incident at around 18:00h but Sawh’s mother, Amrita Panday told the News Room on Thursday, that her son left his house on his bicycle after 18:00h on the evening in question.

Before arriving at Wahab’s house, Sawh stopped to purchase food and he texted his mom at 19:04h to say he arrived safely at the house.

Panday never imagined that would be the last time she would have heard from her son. She didn’t think twice when Sawh – the youngest of three sons – asked her permission to sleepover at the friend’s house – the two practically grew up together and it was not unusual for him to sleep there or vice versa.

“Tuesday night when he asked me to go and sleep with [the suspect] and he said he carrying over food and I said what I cook [the suspect] won’t eat cause I know this child like my own. He message and said he is there.

“When he sent the message and I said ok that was 07:04…that was the last message, he message me and I message he,” the distraught mother said.


Panday explained that she heard about the shooting Wednesday morning and rushed to the hospital where doctors told her that her son could have lived if he was taken earlier.

According to her, the doctors said when her son arrived at the hospital, he was already brain dead. Sawh died at about 17:00h on Wednesday.

“I heard [Wednesday] morning that my son get shot when I wake up to go and cook, I get the call from my sister-in-law…

“When I go, they had him with tubes and everything and the doctor talk to me and said he got shot in his right side head and the bullet is still in there, [by] the time he came into the hospital it was too late,” the mother explained.

The house at Sandy Babb Street, Kitty, Georgetown where the incident occurred. (Photo; News Room/November 19, 2020)

Panday further alleged that her son was left to die while the suspect contacted his mother who came from Diary on the West Bank of Demerara and took him away from the scene.

The News Room understands that the suspect’s parents are separated and so he would spend time at his father’s residence in Kitty.

“I just want lil justice. This lady didn’t had a heart. She come in Kitty and pick up her child and carry he to Dairy [West Bank Demerara] and leave my son bleeding in the house…we is all mothers…take my child to the hospital nah? But she didn’t do that,” Panday told the News Room.

Meanwhile, when contacted, Regional Commander, Assistant Commissioner, Simon Mcbean told the News Room that the suspect’s mother contacted the police and medical services.

“Based on our information, yes, the mother came across and she was the one who made the 911 call and medical services,” the Commander said.

The Commander said that the 16-year-old suspect remains in custody and the police are seeking legal advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

Sawh’s mother said she cannot locate her child’s cell phone or his Gucci bag.


The suspect, in a post to his Facebook page sometime yesterday, stated that the shooting was a mistake; he subsequently deleted the post.

“Ppl it was a mistake, R.I.P to the real g, didn’t expect nothing like this would’ve happen. People just be wishing death and these things. I am sorry for all what happens people it’s a mistake, it’s a mistake,” the post read.

Meanwhile, Sawh’s mother said he was a very pleasant and hardworking child.

“He had a future ahead, he had big plans and they take it away from he.”

The post mortem examination is slated for Friday morning.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.