‘It’s up to you!’: Health Minister says people responsible for own precautions now
After two years of varying COVID-19 rules, most restrictions were removed last week. Health Minister Dr. Frank Anthony, however, says that each individual now has the responsibility of protecting one’s self.
Days after massive gatherings were seen across the country at the ‘Holiday weekend,’ Dr. Anthony reminded all Guyanese that there are still active COVID-19 cases locally.
In fact, there are about 140 people currently infected with the diseases. Of that number, 14 are hospitalised after they experienced the more serious or life-threatening symptoms of the disease.
“The guidelines have been dropped, but people do have more independence in determining what they do.
“It’s up to you- whether you want to wear a mask or not, you have to look at the risk and decide whether you want to take precautions,” the Health Minister said during his daily COVID-19 update on Monday.
Because there are still thousands of people yet to take any COVID-19 vaccine, or complete the required dosage of the vaccines, Dr. Anthony emphasised that people should remain cautious.
He explained that once infected, unvaccinated people are more likely to experience the severe or life-threatening symptoms.
Large gatherings are known to facilitate the spread of the novel coronavirus, but Dr. Anthony did not answer whether a surge in COVID-19 infections is expected. He only pleaded with people to exercise individual responsibility.
Currently, a total of 437,152 adults have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccines; while 334, 899 adults took their second doses.
Booster doses, Dr. Anthony said, remain relatively low; only about 56,174 people have taken their booster shots.