Men dressed in black, armed with knives stabbed Bushlot pensioner six times – Police


As Police investigate the fatal stabbing of Sumintra Sawh called “Aunty Betty”, an 85-year-old pensioner of Bushlot, West Coast Berbice, it has emerged that two unidentified men, dressed in black and armed with knives, may have committed the gruesome act. The men reportedly robbed the woman of $350,000.

Police Headquarters reported that the incident occurred at about 03:00hrs on Monday. Sawh was stabbed six times, one each on both sides of the temple, three on the forehead, and one to the back of the head.

According to the report, Sawh’s handbag, in which she usually kept her money, ID card, pension book, and other articles is missing.

Sawh lived alone in a two-storey house and her great-niece, Roshanie Basdeo, 37, was her caretaker.

Basdeo said she visited her aunt on Sunday at about 16:45hrs. Basdeo usually spends the night with the elderly woman.

At about 19: 00hrs Basdeo said she and Sawh retired to bed. Police said at about 03:00hrs, Basdeo was awakened by one of the suspects who had a knife to her throat and demanded money.

He then took her out of the bedroom, at which point she saw the other suspect with Sawh in her bedroom.

Basdeo told police that she was taken to the lower flat of the house, placed in a chair and tied up with a sling. The suspect remained with her and then she heard Sawh saying “don’t kill me granddaughter”.

Shortly after, the other suspect came downstairs and the two began searching the house. Basdeo said the money stolen was what Sawh was saving to build her fence.

Police said Basdeo managed to untie herself and went to check on Sawh and made the gruesome discovery. Sawh was found lying motionless in a pool of blood on her bed.

Basdeo raised an alarm and contacted the Police.

The body was removed and escorted to Fort Wellington Public hospital and then escorted to Bailey’s Funeral Parlour.

Meanwhile, police said abrasions were seen on Basdeo’s neck and right hand.

She claimed that the suspect had injured her. She was escorted to Fort Wellington Public Hospital and is presently receiving treatment.

Investigations are ongoing.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.