Dengue cases on the decline – Health Minister
After grappling with increased dengue cases over the past several weeks, Health Minister Dr. Frank Anthony said it appears as though cases are now on the decline.
“We still have cases but we have noticed a significant decline.
“We continue to test across the country and we have given the health centres, hospitals and so forth rapid test kits,” Dr. Anthony told the News Room on Wednesday.
According to him, the Health Ministry provided adequate rapid testing kits to health facilities and as soon as those are used, they are replenished. So he posited that the decline in cases isn’t because fewer tests are being done.
Additionally, Dr. Anthony said the ministry conducted two rounds of fogging in most areas in an attempt to exterminate mosquitoes
The Health Ministry, via a press release, also noted that a total of 239 people were hospitalised for the year so far after grappling with the disease.
Dengue is a mosquito-borne disease and its symptoms include high fevers, head and body aches and nausea.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said these increased infections are, in part, linked to global warming. Increased temperatures are said to be conducive for the breeding of the Aedes aegypti mosquito which spreads the disease and thrives in stagnant water.