News Room Guyana
Latest News from Guyana Live on E-Networks E1 7PM

Family homeless after fire guts home

0

By Malisa Playter Harry

A family is now counting their losses after the home they were living in, at Lot 1 Manchester Village, Corentyne, Berbice was completely gutted by fire on Sunday.

 

News Room visited the scene where family members were left in a state of shock and disbelief as they watched the home they knew all their life go up in flames. According to reports the owner of the two-storey building, Imelda Chesney was not at home when the fire began. She was present at the scene but was too devastated to speak.

Remains of the fire
Remains of the home

Speaking to the daughter of Imelda Chesney, she related to this publication that herself and three nephews left the home at approximately 10:30 hrs to have her hair done a short distance away. She related that within 20 minutes of her leaving, she heard someone yelling “smoke” but as herself and other family members ran to the scene, her mother’s bedroom where the fire seemed to have originated, was already engulfed in flames.

 

According to the woman, it is the third fire at her mother’s home with the first being in March of this year and the second in June. All of the fires she said, started in the same bedroom. The first two instances were dealt with before the fire could engulf the house, however, the third time they were not so lucky.

 

It is her belief that “maybe somebody sending fire bun, evil” which is a belief among sections of society that a ball of fire can be sent on someone; similar to doing obeah.

 

According to her, an estimated $7 Million Dollars was incurred in losses. The family is still contemplating their next move.

 

Meanwhile, according to residents, the fire service tried there utmost to save the house but failed.

 

The Fire Department in Berbice is currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the origin of the fire.

 

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.