64-Y-0 Reg. 8 man dies from COVID-19; death toll now at 72
Guyana recorded its 72nd COVID-19 death on Thursday.
The Ministry of Health in a statement revealed that a 64-year-old man from Potaro-Siparuni, Region Eight died at 11:00h while receiving treatment at a medical facility.
“The test sample was collected from the deceased at the time of admission and was tested positive for COVID-19 subsequently,” the Ministry said.
This is the first COVID-19 death for Region Eight. Less than 24 hours ago, two persons died from the disease. The 72nd death would reflect seven COVID-19 related deaths in the last four days.
September has been recorded the deadliest month for COVID-19 in Guyana with 31 deaths for the month thus far.
At the end of August, there were 41 recorded COVID-19 related deaths.
Earlier on Thursday, the Health Minister Dr Frank Anthony said that the spike in the deaths is a global trend and it is likely to continue unless Guyanese seriously considers and take the preventative measures to flatten the curve.
As of September 24, Guyana recorded 2, 579 known cases of COVID-19.