Five-member Caribbean team arrives to assist with investigation into murder of Berbice teens


A five-member team of investigators from the Caribbean Regional Security System (RSS) arrived in Guyana on Monday to assist the Guyana Police Force with investigations into the brutal murders of of 16-year-old Isaiah Henry, his cousin 18-year-old Joel Henry and 17-year-old Haresh Singh.

Police Headquarters in a statement reported the team of investigators led by an Assistant Commissioner of Police and other official from countries within the Regional Investigative Management Systems (RIMS) “will be assisting with the investigation and have been given scope to review and explore all avenues.”

The visit is as a result of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Government and the CARICOM Implementation Agency for Crime and Security (CARICOM IMPACS). President Irfaan Ali made a request for regional assistance into the murder investigations a few weeks ago.

Upon arrival the regional investigaors met with Commissioner of Police, ag, Nigel Hoppie, Crime Chief Senior Superintendent Wendell Blanhum and Ranks of the Criminal Investigation Department and the Major Crimes Investigations Unit (M.C.I.U).

“The Commissioner welcomed them to Guyana and assured them of the Guyana Police Force’s commitment to make available all the necessary resources to facilitate a conducive environment for their work,” the statement noted.

Attorney General and Minister of Legal Affairs Anil Nandlall also announced on September 18, that international jurists and investigators will be hired to work on the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) into the murders.

The three boys resided at Number Three Village, West Coast Berbice (WCB); the mutilated bodies of the teen cousins were found on September 6 with several chop wounds in Cotton Tree WCB.
Their gruesome murders sparked protests across the country which subsequently turned violent in Region Five and resulted in persons being robbed, beaten and their vehicles damaged.

Three days after the Henry boys were killed, Singh was discovered in a bloodied state in a rice field on the way to his farm on September 9. He died while on the way to the New Amsterdam Hospital.

He was found unconscious by his 12-year-old brother while his motorcycle was found torched.

Meanwhile, a total of 75 ranks from the Joint Services and a pathologist, the Guyana Police Force combed the backlands of Number Two and Three Villages on Thursday with the hope of finding the area where the teen cousins were killed.

The ranks came up empty-handed even with aerial support via a helicopter from the Guyana Defence Force.

The search was done after investigators determined that the two teenagers were murdered somewhere else and then dumped in the backlands of Cotton Tree, and with no solid case against the suspects, all of them were released and placed on station bail.

A Post Mortem Examination (PME) found that they both died from haemorrhage and shock due to multiple incised injuries including severed spines.

The killers carved out a huge ‘X’ on Isaiah’s head while they cut open Joel’s chest. They had left their Number 3 Village home to go into the backdam to pick coconuts on September 5 and that was the last time they were seen alive.

A post mortem examination found that Singh died from brain haemorrhage and blunt trauma to the head, compounded by compression injuries to the neck.

1 Comment
  1. Matthew says

    Good luck team…..we really need the answers.

    Find out which rigging crew needed a distraction from the Mingo/lolo prosecutions…..
    Find out which rigging crew felt they needed a race war like they tried to start in 2002. Insanity is trying the same thing over again and expecting different results.

    Please find who really slaughtered those 3 young men.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.