Murder of Berbice boys: Police offer $3M reward


After close to two months with no concrete evidence to find the person(s) who murdered Joel Henry, Isaiah Henry and Haresh Singh, the Guyana Police Force (GPF) is offering an award of $3M.

In a statement on Tuesday, the police said “a reward in the sum of G$3,000,000 is being offered to any person or persons who can provide information leading to the arrest and prosecution of the perpetrators of these gruesome murders.”

“…the GPF assures the general public that all information received will be treated with the strictest of confidence in these ongoing investigations,” the police added.

The police statement further noted that investigators are diligently exploring every possible lead to bring the perpetrator(s) to justice.

The Police Force is therefore appealing to the general public to continue to assist in this effort.

Any such person or persons may please contact the GPF on the following telephone numbers: 225-6411, 226-6978, 225-8196, 226-1326, 225-2227, 225-3650, 225-7625, 227-1149, 232-0291, 232-0213, 330-2222, 911, or the nearest Police Station.

The mutilated bodies of Isaiah and Joel Henry were found in the Cotton Tree backlands, West Coast Berbice on September 6. The killers carved out a huge ‘X’ on Isaiah’s head while they cut open Joel’s chest.

The cousins had left their Number 3 Village, West Coast Berbice home to go into the backdam to pick coconuts on September 5 and that was the last time they were seen alive.

A Post Mortem Examination (PME) conducted on the mutilated bodies of the boys found that they both died from haemorrhage and shock due to multiple incised injuries including severed spines.

Approximately 27 persons were arrested during the course of the investigation but all were released due to lack of evidence.

On September 14, the police determined that the boys were murdered somewhere else and then dumped in the backlands of Cotton Tree but have since not been able to locate the primary crime scene.

Subsequently, a total of 75 ranks drawn from Region 5, the Major Crimes Unit and the Guyana Defence Force led by Region 5 Divisional Commander and a Lt Colonel along with Government Pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh combed the backlands of Number Two and Three Villages on the West Coast of Berbice with the hope of finding the area where the teen cousins were killed.

Ranks on the ground also received aerial support via a helicopter from the Guyana Defence Force.

Police Headquarters in a statement noted that the “methodical search” was conducted between 07:00h and 14:00h on September 18 but “nothing of evidential value was found.”

Mass protest erupted following the killings, calling for Justice for the Henry boys.

It was during those protests that 17-year-old Haresh Singh was killed. The police have not been able to arrest anyone in connection with his murder.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.