Brickdam fire: Police services relocated to St Stanislaus College


Following the massive fire which destroyed over 80 per cent of the Brickdam Police Station on Saturday, some services have now been relocated to St Stanislaus College temporarily.

The Guyana Police Force in a statement noted that police offices and outposts which handles reports and other police-related matters, have been established at the school.

The 911 number is also now operable. Before the fire, the operations room of the Brickdam police station managed this number as well as the 227-1611, 227-1149, 227-1270, 225-6940-3 numbers.

“While investigations into the fire are being conducted, police operational activities in the Division are continuing unabated with efforts being made to relocate the affected offices and ranks,” Police Headquarters stated.

The aftermath of the fire (Photo: Richard Bhainie)

The fire started at about 11:06 hrs and ravaged the wooden buildings despite efforts by the Guyana Fire Service to contain it. The News Room understands that some of the structures were more than 100 years old.

The Guyana Fire Service was supported by four water tenders from the Central Fire Station, along with five others from the Alberttown, West Ruimveldt, Diamond, Campbellville, and Melanie Fire Stations.

By the time the fire was under control, the majority of the buildings were already destroyed. The station’s lockups, barracks and Impact Base were the only buildings left standing after the huge fire.

A few police vehicles and a number of privately owned vehicles which were detained as part of investigations were also destroyed.

The Police Force stated that while all prisoners were relocated safely, a few police ranks sustained minor injuries while trying to save important records, equipment, furniture and arms and ammunition.

A business place located behind the station was also damaged as a result of the fire.

In the meantime, engineers will immediately look at designs to rebuild the station, Minister of Home Affairs Robeson Benn revealed during a briefing on Saturday.

The cause of the fire is not yet known as firefighters are continuing their investigations.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.