Seven homeless after fire guts Sophia property, faulty wiring overheated  – GFS


Seven persons including the homeowner are homeless for the holiday after a fire destroyed a property at Lot 480, ‘B’ Field Sophia, Greater Georgetown in the wee hours of Saturday.

The Guyana Fire Service said they were alerted to the fire just after 04:00 hrs and responded with several tenders, an ambulance and 18 firefighters.

The two-storey wooden and concrete building is owned by 59-year-old Elroy Trotman.

The first floor of the building was occupied by the owner and his family of four, while the ground floor was occupied by 42-year-old Shabana Jamboo and 47-year-old Rickford Tobin.

As a result of the fire, the building and its contents were destroyed, leaving all seven occupants homeless.

Additionally, two houses and three vehicles near the building of origin were damaged due to radiated heat from the building of origin.

The fire started after faulty electrical wiring overheated, which led to a breakdown of the installation, resulting in arcing and sparking and the subsequent ignition of nearby combustible material, the Guyana Fire Service said.

The Guyana Fire Service is urging citizens to be vigilant and practice fire safety and prevention during the holiday season.

Keep an eye on electrical connections and appliances, and avoid overloading electrical outlets.

Ensure homes are equipped with fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.

Remember to report all fires as soon as they occur by calling 912.


1 Comment
  1. Don A Gomes says

    A challenge indeed.Life our precious gift,is safe.thank God.
    people of gt ,please help these people enjoy this Christmas even after their loss .

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.