Five homeless after electrical fire destroys Meten-Meer-Zorg house


Five persons are now homeless after a fire destroyed their Lot 130 Fourth Street, Meten-Meer-Zorg, West Coast Demerara house on Wednesday afternoon.

The Guyana Fire Service said it was alerted to the fire at around 13:12 hrs.

The building involved was a two-storey wooden and concrete house owned by Mohamed Safdur and occupied by Shazim Safdur and his four family members.

According to a press release from the fire service, by the time the fire was extinguished, the building and its contents were aldready destroyed leaving its five occupants homeless.

“The purported cause of the fire is a breakdown of electrical installation resulting in arcing and sparking which ignited nearby combustibles and spread to the entire building,” the fire service noted.

Electrical fires can result from faults in electrical systems or appliances. Common causes include overloaded circuits, faulty wiring, and damaged cords.

Signs may include burning smells, flickering lights, or sparks. Prevention involves regular inspections, avoiding overloads, and using surge protectors.

What to do if an electrical fire occurs:

  1. Stay Calm: Keep calm and avoid panic.
  2. Cut the Power: Safely turn off the power supply to the affected area, if possible.
  3. Use a Fire Extinguisher: If you have a suitable fire extinguisher, use it from a safe distance. Never use water on an electrical fire.
  4. Evacuate: If the fire is spreading or you cannot control it, evacuate immediately.
  5. Call for Help: Dial 912 to report the fire.
  6. Do NOT Use Water: Never use water on an electrical fire, as it can worsen the situation.
  7. Wait for the Professionals: Allow trained firefighters to handle the situation. Do not re-enter the area until it is declared safe.
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.