Parents question circumstances surrounding teen son’s death at workplace


Reshma Chetram- Jagnandan and Avalon Jagnandan, the parents of 18-year-old Jared Jagnandan, are concerned about the circumstances surrounding the death of their son last week.

The teenager was a Sales and Marketing Representative who lived at Martyrs’ Ville, East Coast Demerara (ECD). He was fatally shot at Shaf Auto Sales, Lusignan, ECD on March 21 and laid to rest on March 25.

According to the Police report, the young Jagnandan and the 20-year-old security guard arrested for his shooting were at the auto company on Thursday when the incident transpired.

The businessman who manages Shaf Auto Sales told the police that he and his wife returned to the store around 11:10 hrs after transacting business and observed the suspect and the teen seated in a chair, a short distance away from the security officer’s desk.

The businessman further noted that he and his wife proceeded to his office.

A few minutes later they heard a loud explosion in the store.

He told police that he immediately exited his office where he saw his son lying motionless on the ground with blood on the lower section of his body.

The security officer told him Jared was shot.

Jared was taken to the Woodlands Hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries. The matter was reported to the Vigilance Police Station at 14:10 hrs.

The Jagnandans, however, have expressed concerns about the circumstances surrounding their son’s death. One matter of concern was that the business owners did not take Jared to the hospital themselves; they reportedly called the security company and a vehicle was sent to take the teen to the hospital.

Mr. Jagnandan believed that the delay in getting Jared to the hospital prevented him from getting treatment much sooner. And he opined that Jared could have been saved had he received treatment promptly.

The teen’s parents further accused the business owners of hiding information from them, noting that they have not seen any video footage.

The only information the family said they got was the information released by the Guyana Police Force to the press.

“Several persons were questioned in the area and certain information was received. The area was canvassed for CCTV cameras and several were seen affixed at the building,” the police release noted.

The suspect was arrested and is presently in custody at the Vigilance Police Station. The shotgun was lodged along with five live cartridges and one spent shell.

The Jagnandans are hopeful that they will be contacted and properly informed of what transpired.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.