The Ministry of Natural Resources says it is investigating the death of a so far unidentified Brazilian national who died in a mining accident in Micobie, Region 8 (Potaro-Siparuni) last evening (Friday, March 31, 2017).
A statement from the Ministry today (Saturday, April 1, 2017) says the man was a worker connected to a six-inch dredge, which was said to be operating without permission of the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) at the time. Investigations revealed that the Micobie Village Council granted permission for the operation without informing or consulting the GGMC prior to doing so.
Personnel from the GGMC are presently on the ground conducting preliminary investigations.
The Ministry of Natural Resources has expressed sorrow and regret at this latest mining fatality and recommits to working with miners, and Amerindian Titled communities to make the industry safe, accident free and better regulated.