PROTECT YOURSELF: JOGGING SAFETY
As part of its Crime Prevention Strategy the Guyana Police Force has issued Crime Prevention tips for the public.
The tips come with this warning from the Police: “Crime can happen anywhere. Protect yourself, others and property by staying alert, safety conscious and informed. Trust your instincts, if something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.”
- Jog with a companion in familiar and public areas facing traffic.
- Do not jog during dark hours.
- Vary your route and pattern.
- Remain alert. Don’t wear stereo earplugs or headphones.
- If you think you are being followed, go to a well-lit public area, store or residence and draw attention to yourself.
- Wear bright clothing.
- Do not jog near bushes and structures where someone could hide.